1. Encyclopedia of Cottage, Farm and Villa Architecture, 1833 J.C. Landen, London, UK.
Advises farmers on how to make their own bricks
2. Treatise on the Manufacture of Bricks, 1850, Edward Dobson
The definitive reference for brickmaking in the mid-1800's.
3. Brick Burning, 1854, Frances Smith (in the Scientific American page 24)
....Brickmaking, November 27, 1886, (in the Scientific American page 343)
4. History of English Brickwork,1925, Nathaniel Lloyd
Contains complicated account of stacking bricks in the kiln
5. The History of Brickmaking in and Around Vancouver, 1930, Hidden, W. Foster
6. The English Farmhouse and Cottage, 1961, M. W. Barley
7. A Geological approach to the study of Medieval Bricks, 1967, J. Ronald and P. Firman
8. Bricks and Brickies, 1972, Frank Wilmott
9. Bricks and Brickmaking, A Handbook for Historical Archaeology, Karl Gurke
10. Bricks to build a House, John Woodforde
11. A Field Guide to American Houses, 1984 , Virginia and Lee McAlester
12. The Architecture of Country Houses , 1850, A.J. Downing, republished 1969
13. The Arts and Mysteries of the Colonial Brickmaker, 1990 , Bill Weldon
The Journal of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
.............The Brickmakers's Year , 1990 , Bill Weldon
The Colonial Williamsburg Historic Trades Annual , Volume II
A beautifully illustrated and thoroughly researched account of Bill Weldon's recreation of a brickmaking site.
14. Country Carpenter, 1991, Catherine Rhoads, Gateway Press
Documents the life and work of Josiah C. Werner.
15 . Introduction to Early American , MASONRY , Stone Brick Mortar and Plaster , Harley J. McKee, 1973 , Preservation Press.
16 . The Forgotten Art of Building a Stone Wall, 1971, Curtis P. Fields , Yankee Inc.
17 . Earth Ponds , 1982, Tim Matson , The Countryman Press
18 . Restoring Houses of Brick and Stone, 1982 , Nigel Hutchins, Van Nostrand Reinhold
19. The Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation & Illustrated Guidelines for Rehabilitating Historic Buildings, Revised 1992, U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service, Cultural Resources, Preservation Assistance Division.
20 . Problems in Wood-Turning, 1909, Fred D. Crawshaw
1 . Central Pennsylvania Redware Pottery 1780-1904, 1979, Jeanette Lasansky, U. Penn Press
2 . Pottery, A Utilitarian Folk Craft, 1972, Elmer L. Smith
3 . Yellow Ware, The Transitional Ceramic, 1985, Joan Liebowitz
4 . American Redware, 1991, William C. Ketchum, Jr.
5 . Old Pots, Phil Schaltenbrand
Phil is an Assistant Professor of Art at the California State College (PA)
6 . Marks and Monograms on Pottery & Porcelain, 1994, William Chaffers
7 . Foxfire 8, 1968, Eliot Wiggington and Margie Bennett
Southern folk pottery from pug mills, ash glazes, and groundhog kilns to face jugs
8. In the Beginning was Earthenware, June 1983 , The Studio Potter Magazine
9. Turners and Burners, The Folk Potters of North Carolina, 1986 , Charles Zug III, UNC Press
10 . The Living Tradition of Maria Martinez , 1977, Susan Peterson
Maria is a legend of Western US Indian pottery.
11 . A Potters Book, 1951, Bernard Leach
The book that is most responsible for the art/craft pottery movement in the United States.
12 . BEYOND EAST AND WEST, 1978 , Bernard Leach
Memoirs, Portraits, and Essays.
13 . HAMADA Potter, 1975, Bernard Leach, Preface by Warren MacKenzie
Shoji Hamada was declared a "National Treasure" in his lifetime by the Japanese Government
14. The Unknown Craftsman,A Japanese Insight into Beauty, Rev.1989, Soetsu Yanagi , Adapted By Bernard Leach
Simply the best, but especially appropriate in re: mingei philosophy
15. Warren MacKenzie An American Potter, 1991, David Lewis
Warren MacKenzie carries on the tradition of art pottery from Bernard Leach and Shoji Hamada
16. Wood-Fired Stoneware and Porcelain , 1995 , Jack Troy
Jack Troy is a Professor of Art at Juniata College, and lives in Huntington PA.
17. Zen and the Art of Pottery, 1989, Ken Beittel
Ken is a Professor of Art at the Penn State University
18. A Celebration of Consciousness, 1991 , Ken Beittel with Joan Beittel
19. The Raku Family Tradition, 1979 , Rick Hirsch, Studio Potter Magazine, Vol 7, #2
20 . Clay and Glazes for the Potter, 1957, Danial Rhodes , Chilton
21 . Kilns Design, Construction , and Operation , 1968 , Danial Rhodes , Chilton
22 . Pottery Form , 1976 , Danial Rhodes , Chilton
Brickmaking | Bricklaying | Brick History | 10 Houses | Piggies | Sitemap | Pottery | Contact